Learn how our essential services will continue to operate as we respond 'Together against COVID-19'.

Alternatives to court    


If you have been charged with an offence or received a Court Attendance Notice to attend a court, you must attend. There are no alternatives.                            

However, if you are going to court or considering starting court proceedings about a dispute, there may be alternatives to court that achieve a better result. Sometimes it is as simple as talking, writing to or emailing the other person or company to try and reach an agreement.

If the dispute is about an unpaid debt you might be able to negotiate a longer payment period or payment by instalments. Alternatively, you could ask your lawyer to write a letter on your behalf to try and reach an agreement.

If that does not work, consider alternative dispute resolution.

Need legal help? 

Call LawAccess NSW for free legal information. Telephone 1300 888 529